As COVID-19 tightened its grip around every business in our industry, companies’ true colors were revealed. Most attempted to bail water out of their sinking ship and into yours, aggressively pursuing collections and running every “promotion” they could think of to steal your business’s much-needed lifeblood.
Pivotal Group was not one of those companies.
Even as our future was uncertain and we stared down furloughs alongside the rest of our members, our focus never waivered. We continued doing everything within our power to help independent optometrists.
We released a comprehensive SARS-CoV-2 Survival Guide, and now as we all attempt to define our “new normal” in the wake of COVID-19, we’re providing this guide to independent optometrists in an effort to help your business recover as quickly as possible.
The focus of this guide isn’t how to logistically recover from COVID-19 (e.g. implementing breathshields, where to source facemasks, enabling social distancing etc.). This guide focuses on financially recovering from the economic downturn caused by the pandemic, and ensuring you’re insulated from similar events in the future.
We didn’t create this exclusively for Pivotal Group members. Every independent optometrist in the United States will experience a sensational recovery if they closely follow the steps outlined within these pages.
However, since Pivotal Group members receive the most affordable lab pricing in the country, the cheapest stock lens pricing anywhere, frames that allow for twice the typical markup, and several other negotiated discounts and benefits — all WITHOUT sacrificing quality or membership fees — we hope you’ll consider becoming a member for free today.
How to Use this Guide
“How long are you going to wait before you demand the best for yourself?” – Epictetus
Most optometrists who stumble across this guide will never revisit it. They’ll skim it, have an “aha” moment or two, and return expeditiously to their comfortable status quo. They’ll see it as the mountain of work it is, and instead of beginning by removing one bucket of rocks at a time, they’ll simply turn back to how they’ve always done things.
As business owners, most of us recognize that growth is rarely easy. It’s often rife with struggle and pushes us beyond our limits. This guide is no exception.
Following this guide will not be painless or quick. It will take weeks to implement and months (if not years) to perfect. Before you begin, however, it’s best to get a clear picture of what can be achieved if you approach this mountain, bucket-in-hand, and start shoveling rocks.
Any doctor following this guide will soar past whatever heights they once thought were impossible for their business. Record days, weeks, and months will be regularly crushed across every KPI that drives your business’s health. You WILL become one of the most profitable optometry clinics & opticals in every region you operate and, through those profits, be able to serve your patients better than ever before.
We are confident in this statement because our founders did it in their businesses prior to founding Pivotal Group, and we have hundreds of members who have used our methods to accomplish it in theirs.
If you’ve ever questioned whether the traditional model of independent optometry is flawed and sought a “better way,” allow us to change you and your loved ones’ lives with this step-by-step blueprint.
NOTE: Pivotal Group members can request free assistance from our Support Department and team of Member Advocates when implementing this guide in their own businesses.
Table of Contents
- Step 1: Build a “War Chest” for the Efforts Ahead by Collecting Any Money You’re Owed
- Step 2: Evaluate Whether the Traditional Approach to Independent Optometry Is Right for You
- Step 3: Gather and Understand Your Business’s Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Step 4: Improve Clinic-Side Conversations to Create Opportunities for Your Optical Staff
- Step 5: Improve Optical Operations to Improve Performance
- Step 6: Dramatically Reduce Your Cost of Goods
- Step 7: Aggressively Re-Negotiate the Relationships You’d Like to Keep
- Step 8: Overhaul Your Supply Chain with Everything You’ve Learned
- Step 9: Take Control of Your Business Rather Than Being at the Mercy of Your Staff
- 9.1 Evaluate the Quality of All Prospective New Suppliers Yourself
- 9.2 Commit to Constantly Track and Optimize Your KPIs As the New Changes Kick In
- 9.3 Set Your Staff (and Yourself) Up for Success
- 9.4 Evaluate Whether Individual’s Positions Are What’s Best Within Your Business
- 9.5 Be Willing to “Clean House” If It’s What’s Best for Your Practice
- Wrapping Up: Taking Control of Your Business
- Step 10: Evaluate Revenue Opportunities You Haven’t Seriously Pursued Before
- Final Thoughts: Building a Stronger Independent Business Than You Ever Thought Possible